You’re a small business and you want to do something for your web presence. Congratulations! Most small businesses don’t think about improving their Google rankings and waste money in old school techniques like YellowPage ads or snail mail advertisements. Below I’m going to outline 3 small business SEO steps that you can start doing today (or tomorrow if you have the day off :))! If you’re not exactly sure what SEO is, read more here.
Follow these Small Business SEO Steps for Success!
Let’s jump right into it. I’m going to layout what you need to do to get started.
1. Setup a blog
This is crucial in the SEO world. You need a blog on your website. If your are skilled then I suggest setting up a self hosted wordpress blog under your domain name. What this means is that your blog URL will look like this:
If you’re not sure on how to do this then either have your web developer do it or contact one. We can help if you don’t have one. It should only cost you a few hundred dollars to get this going. I mentioned wordpress because WP is a super easy platform that you’ll be able to manage in the future. It’s a blogging platform (great for SEO) and a skilled web developer can easily setup a self-hosted WP blog on your site. Then once complete, you’ll be able to add articles to your new blog.
2. Create content for your blog
Your spankin new blog needs some content. Content that Google really loves are articles. You’ll want to post 2-4 of these a month.
Your blog should have a theme. If you’re a plumber then write about home improvement tips. If you’re a dentist then write about oral health and even some general health topics will do.
When sitting down and writing a blog article think about your customer. What would they want to read? Using the dentist example you could write about, What foods help my smile? This is an interesting topic that your customers might want to find the answer to. A few tips to follow when writing:
– Don’t write about your business! I’m sorry to break the news to you but most people don’t care about your business. By supplying them with great content they will be able to look at your about, services and contact page if they want to find out more.
– Each post should be around 400 words. Google doesn’t like short content. Try to reach for 400 words.
– Include some images in your post and don’t steal them! A super cheap site to get $1 images is, photodune.net. Make sure not to just randomly take images off of other sites. You can get sued big time and image websites look for people that steal. It’s an easy payday for them.
– Try to post an article a week. If you can’t do that shoot for at least 2 a month.
3. Promote, promote, promote!
Unfortunately it’s hard for people to see your content if you don’t promote it. I’m a SEO wizard (not really but close to one) so I can help make your content appear on Google but most people can’t. The best way to get some traction on your content is to promote it through your social networks. Post it on FB, Twitter, Linkedin or any other platforms that your customers are on.
SUPER TIP! – If you’re not sure then check out another business in your field that is using social media. See what platforms they use and use the same.
Paid FB posts are awesome for promoting blog posts. If that’s over your head then have a pro do it (like us) or anyone that can help promote your posts. You can spend a few bucks a day and it will reach a ton of people in your market. Pretty cool that FB is.
These 3 steps will take your small business SEO to the next level or at least get your started. The nice thing is that a lot of your competitors probably aren’t doing this so it’s important to start asap.
Confused? Ask below and I’ll help you out!